In mid-2021, a team at the Centre for Epidemiology Versus Arthritis started a qualitative research project called Understanding personal shielding experiences: the voices of people living with arthritis and musculoskeletal disease (‘COVID Voices’) to explore the shielding experiences of people living with arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions.

People living with arthritis and musculoskeletal disease were amongst those identified as “clinically extremely vulnerable” to COVID-19 by the NHS England. We collected 25 different creative materials from 15 participants, including pictures, poems, videos and songs that show snippets of their life in shielding.

On this page you will find creative materials as follows from:

Shannon Banks

The Actual (poem)

Open poem as a PDF

Image Gallery (click on images to view)
Six Hundred Days of Shielding – video of cumulative artworks

Sandra Lochrie

Image Gallery (click on images to view)

Anonymous 1

Rachel Underwood

Joe Eddison

Infographic: “My journey though lockdowns shielding and the pandemic”

Open text as PDF

Nadia

Creative Writing (essay)

Open as a PDF

Image Gallery (click on image to view)

Leonora

Image Gallery (click on image to view)

Natalya Revitt

Image Gallery (click on images to view)

Dalila Tremarias

Image Gallery (click on image to view)

Anne Bates

“Shielding made my world a very small, lonely place. I needed a project to occupy myself.  

Inspired by stunning glass garden sculptures I’d seen I wanted to make flowers for my garden.  

Taking a sheet of clear glass, a cutter and coloured powders I became absorbed cutting, colouring, fusing and shaping petals, petals and more petals!!  

Many things can go wrong once you put glass into a kiln to fuse, so its always exciting to open the kiln to see the results. Suddenly this became the first thing I did most mornings, eager with anticipation.  

Gradually pieces came together and the first of my flowers bloomed which I was jolly proud of.  

An hour in my craft room most days provided some much needed ‘me’ time. Closing the door, turning the music on it was a perfect place to escape, relax, unwind and recharge… and as I bonus I have a wonderful ornament in my garden which always makes me smile.” 

Image Gallery (click on images to view)

Anonymous 2

Creative Writing (poem)

Open as a PDF

Nory-J

Song: Holding Out for April

Open lyrics as a PDF

Janine W.

Image Gallery (click on images to view)

Anonymous 3

Image Gallery (click on images to view)
Series 1: Neighbourhood messages 
Series 2: Blocked and locked
Series 3: Darkness and light
Series 4: Benefits & pain relief

“Closing thoughts: Through the process of gathering images from my phone, I was able to reflect and gain perspective on my personal progress. Learning to “be” rather than defining myself though “doing” was a challenge, but also a gift. I found the light again”