Welcome to MIOIR Researcher: Liangping Ding

by | 23 Apr 2024 | MIOIR Community | 0 comments

Dr Liangping Ding has recently joined MIOIR as a Research Associate working with Professor Philip Shapira and Professor Cornelia Lawson from January 2024 on the ‘Innovations in the Lab: Leveraging Transformations in Science‘ research project. To welcome Liangping to our community, we have asked her a few questions about her research interests, impact, plans for the future with MIOIR Community:

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in research? 

Well, during my PhD, I encountered some intriguing questions that lingered in my mind long after I left the lab. I found myself drawn to exploring them further, especially in the realm of natural language processing algorithms and their applications in scientific literature. There’s something incredibly satisfying about uncovering patterns and insights from vast amounts of data.

2. Could you tell us about your current research interests and projects?

Currently, I’m delving into the fascinating intersection of AI and scientific progress. I’m particularly interested in how AI is shaping scientific practices, from collaboration dynamics to interdisciplinary interactions. I’m also exploring the impact of scientific retractions on research trajectories—a side project that’s proving to be quite illuminating. This endeavor aims to understand the repercussions faced by stigmatized authors due to retractions and assess whether retracted publications have already influenced scientific knowledge and subsequent research directions.

3. Can you share a memorable or significant moment from your research career so far?

Receiving my PhD was definitely a highlight. The moment when they announced it felt like a culmination of years of hard work and dedication. I’ll always remember the sense of achievement and pride I felt during my graduation speech—it’s a milestone I’ll cherish forever.

4. How do you perceive the main impacts of your work outside academia?

During my PhD, I had the opportunity to collaborate with industry partners, and it was eye-opening. I realized that while academia is pushing the boundaries of knowledge, there’s often a lag in translating these advancements into practical applications. Bridging that gap between theory and practice is something I’m passionate about.

5. What are your next plans, particularly within your role at MIOIR and the University of Manchester?

As a postdoc here, my focus is on expanding our research network and amplifying the impact of our work. I’m keen to foster collaborations with leading institutes and share our findings with a wider audience. Building these connections is essential for driving innovation and making meaningful contributions to the research community.

6. What do you consider to be the key benefits of being a part of our Institute?

Joining MIOIR has been a fantastic experience. I’m grateful for the mentorship and support from my supervisors, who have been instrumental in guiding my research journey. Being part of this vibrant community provides ample opportunities for collaboration and growth, ensuring that our work has a lasting impact in the field.

Thank you to Dr. Liangping Ding for providing valuable insights into her research journey. We’re delighted to have you part of the MIOIR community.