Aishah Rashid: Breaking Barriers – The Role of Networks, Solidarity and Allyship in Higher Education

by | 2 Sep 2024 | Staff Networks | 0 comments

In a time of heightened social unrest and urgent calls for justice, the workplace is no longer just about employment. It’s become a space where allyship and solidarity play a pivotal role – particularly for those just beginning their career.

My journey from an MSc in Research Methods with Education to becoming a Student Success Intern has not only been a personal milestone but also a real-world exploration of the very equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) issues I’ve studied and researched: the complexities of career progression, the nuances of institutional belonging, and the power of allyship. In a time of urgent calls for social justice, these experiences have underscored how deeply interconnected personal and systemic challenges are within our university spaces.

Don’t burn your bridges

For me, the transition from being a student to a staff member at the University signified the importance of maintaining and using networks which I had developed over years of study. Students are often told to network, network and network some more –  yet the significance, and leverage, of such networks isn’t always recognisable when still a student. Positively, the connections I have fostered have helped me navigate the complexities of my new role and adapt to the professional landscape of higher education.

Being a part of the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) Staff Network and engaging with members has played a crucial role in developing my understanding of how to navigate university processes and environments. Ongoing opportunities to provide feedback on new policies and strategies (and network members’ confidence in providing their opinions) is a positive way through which I have observed members collectively inform, reshape and enhance workplace cultures by sharing lived evidence. Throughout my time working at the university, I’ve valued the sense of community that membership to the network has provided me with.  

Glass ceilings and sticky floors

In a sector where global majority staff are disproportionately concentrated in junior roles, breaking through the barriers that prevent career advancement can be a daunting challenge. The glass ceiling is a reality that many women in academia are determined not to hit. Barriers to career progression are often formidable, including conscious and unconscious bias, racial stereotyping, gendered ideals of desirable attributes, and inequitable hiring practices. For women of colour, such as South Asian women like myself, these barriers can feel even more pronounced. The glass ceiling is not just a metaphor; it’s a tangible obstacle that many of us are working to shatter.

The support from those who understand these challenges has been instrumental in navigating my path and maintaining confidence in my abilities. Through sharing opportunities and offering a listening ear it has been valuable to have colleagues both within and outside of staff networks willing to support those like me who are early on in their career. Previous lecturers and research collaborators have often shared valuable guidance, resources and opportunities – evidencing the power of holding the door open for others. I’m grateful for the knowledge that, when multiplied across a community, this can facilitate important progress.

Translating policy into practice

Breaking through the glass ceiling requires more than just individual effort – it requires structural change. This is where the role of allyship and translation of policy into practice becomes crucial. Senior leaders have the influence to drive this change by turning words into action, activating and engaging stakeholders, and ensuring that diversity and inclusion policies and initiatives are understood according to the specific contexts in which their staff work. With the creation of equality charters for higher education, commitments to transforming the culture of institutions cannot remain statements on paper but must be contextually understood and practiced in the daily workings of the institution.

It’s  important to acknowledge that although investment from senior leaders is vital, within an organisation as big as UoM, change must be championed at all levels. A shared responsibility throughout the organisation can yield positive impact with responsibilities distributed across departments who are held accountable for their progress in advancing EDI.

The work may never be truly finished, but with genuine engagement from leaders and shared responsibility, we can ensure that the progress we make is both meaningful and lasting – with benefits not only for staff but ultimately the students and wider community we serve.

By Aishah who is an MSc Research Methods with Education graduate from The University of Manchester, deeply passionate about advancing equitable education through practical application and the use of intersectional research approaches to address systemic issues in education systems. Currently serving as a Student Success Intern, Aishah is involved in developing and delivering academic success programmes, including Manchester 10/10 and the FBMH Coaching Programme, that support undergraduate students from underrepresented backgrounds in achieving their academic goals.