Catriona’s thoughts about the International Disaster Management and Humanitarian Response BSc

by | Dec 12, 2017 | Student spotlight | 0 comments

Catriona SpenceWhat did you study at college?

Geography, Politics, Psychology and English Literature

Why did you choose International Disaster Management and Humanitarian Response?

I was always interested in the natural disaster side of geography and was applying for geography courses with modules in natural hazards. I came across this course at Manchester and was really impressed with it! I could also take my optional modules in geography and earth sciences which meant that I felt like I was really specialising in exactly what I wanted to do.

What have you enjoyed the most so far about the course?

Disasters are so prominent in the media at the moment, from hurricanes to terrorist attacks; I enjoy that I can study issues that are happening presently- recently one of my assignments was on the Grenfell fire, I feel as if my work and the research done by the department is very important currently.

What are your plans for after you graduate?

At the moment I’m very interested in working in the production of disaster preparedness for natural hazards such as earthquakes and volcanoes

Is there anything you would like to say to anyone applying to this course?

I’d say if you’re interested in making the world a better place then take this great opportunity. This course is new and cutting-edge.

hcri logo