Joseph’s thoughts about the International Disaster Management and Humanitarian Response BSc

by | Jan 9, 2017 | Student spotlight | 0 comments

Joseph

What did you study at college?

I studied English Literature, History and Geography at college.

Why did you choose International Disaster Management and Humanitarian Response (IDMHR) rather than another course?

Originally I was going to apply for a course in International Relations but was put off by the dominance of the political aspects of the subject. The IDMHR course is much more appealing to me as it encompasses a much broader range of subjects without being too political and is more relevant to my interests in geography and conflict resolution.

What have you enjoyed the most so far about the course?

So far I have enjoyed the Global Health module of the course the most. This module is exactly what I expected from the course as a whole in terms of content and is interesting as the course is focused on generating debate around global medicine and health agendas.

What are your plans for after you graduate?

I have a loose goal to find a job in the Civil Service. In particular, I want a role perhaps in foreign development or peacekeeping. If I didn’t make it into the government my second choice would be journalism, but again I’m not certain about anything.

Is there anything you would like to say to anyone applying to this course?

This course is fit for anyone and everyone! So long as you have an interest in helping people and making a difference in the future – you can bring something to this course as well as learn new things and experiences to help you in your future careers.

hcri logo