HCRI students Heidi and Isabelle reflect on their time as Project Trust Volunteers

by | Feb 9, 2017 | Student blogs | 0 comments

Isabelle

Isabelle

What inspired you to get involved with Project Trust?

I always knew I wanted to take a year off after my A-levels as I wanted a bit of a break from education, but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. When Project Trust did a talk at my school I knew straight away it was perfect for me, as it was a longer term placement, and allowed me to share my skills without compromising the work of locals in the country I would be travelling to. It was a challenge I was ready for and I’m so grateful for that opportunity.

What was your experience of getting the One Award?

I was really proud that I got the One Award, as it meant that as well as my photos and memories from my year in India I had a solid qualification that represented the hard work that had gone into my year. It was a bit of paperwork, yes, but so worth it as it looks amazing on a CV and can help you stand out in applications.

Why did you choose the HCRI BSc?

In short, it was everything that I wanted from my degree. I had started a Geography degree last year and it wasn’t quite what I wanted, and the course at Manchester ticked every box. I know I want to work for a humanitarian charity after University and this degree will give me the experience and knowledge that I need to start off this career.

What do you want to do after you finish your course?

I definitely want to take another year (or three!) to do some more travelling/volunteering, as my experience with Project Trust has definitely made me realise how much there is to see and do in the world! After that I want to work for a charity such as Oxfam or Save the Children and see what happens from there.

Would you recommend your course to other Project Trust volunteers?

Definitely, I think this degree will definitely interest a lot of Project Trust volunteers as it is all about international aid and humanitarianism. It’s a multidisciplinary degree and you can study a language too which is really useful. So far I am really enjoying this degree and I think other returned volunteers will too!

Heidi

Heidi

A school talk from a returned volunteer inspired me to go overseas with Project Trust. I wanted to do something different and meaningful with my year and Project Trust gave me the confidence and support to do this.

Aside from the obvious perks of the One Awards such as university placements and proof of my achievements of my year in Malawi, completing the award really helped me to get the most out of my year. It meant that whilst I was overseas I was actively thinking about what I was achieving at my project and how to achieve more. It was a great way of recording my experiences and is something I will always have to look back on.

Why did you choose the HCRI course?

I chose the HCRI course because it related to my interest in overseas development which I gained whilst in Malawi.

I’m hoping to work for a charity.

I would definitely recommend this course to returned Project Trust volunteers. A lot of the issues we look at in relation to disaster management such as poverty I’ve seen for myself on my year overseas. The perspective on the world that you gain through volunteering with Project Trust can be incorporated into your studies which is great!

hcri logo